Carlo Lanza, handmade socks from Italy!

Yesterday, the promised over the calf socks (70/30 wool/polyamide) arrived. Thanks once again for this amazing gift!

My experiences: compared to my Falke socks the cuff is shorter. However there is no slipping at all. The material composition is unfortunate. 30% polyamide is too much for my taste when you consider the marked price. This can be an advantage in terms of durability (as advertised on the website) but it lowers the overall value. When I wore them today I could not notice any sweating. Usually I sweat, no matter what socks I am wearing.

The socks have a very soft and comfortable touch and are not grating at all.

At this point I would recommend the socks. I have not washed them yet and I will post further experiences a soon as I made them.

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. The overall opinion seems to be just fine so I am happy with it.

Since I work with socks I have learned a few surprising things. I will response tomorrow, but thanks again for your effort and sharing your experience.

Goodnight you all,
Carlo

Since I work with socks I have learned a few surprising things.
Carlo

As I wrote yesterday I would tell more about the (for me) surprising things I have learned since I make socks. One of those things is that when you add polyamide it is not making the sock less valuable, but just more expensive. I understand what you said by the way; 'for me it is making the socks less valuable', but the buying price for me is higher then when I use a 100% wool yarn. Maybe it doesn't sounds logical at all, but it is a fact.

Because we mix a 100% Merinowool (70% does not exist) yarn with an extra polyamid yarn. The polyamid yarn is also making the socks thicker and his fit a bit thighter. Italians call this extra addition Varise and it is making the socks fit a bit thighter. Last but not least the polyamide improves the durability. Those are all personal choices offcourse, but you might understand it is my personal preference :). Men in Holland do want to pay for quality but the durability has to be acceptable. Also we tested over and over again, because the last thing we want is sweaty feet. Offcourse I can not quarantee nobody will have sweaty feet :p, but the reaction of Tilman is clear.

I also know - because I have contacts with several factories in Italy - that some brands usually don't want to communicate a 70-30 composition and they communicate it is a 80-20 compostion. Actually they add the same quantity of polyamid. Formally it is approved, but I choose to be honest.

Hope to have given more business transparency and a lesson of making socks + additional costs :).

Have a wonderful day!

Saluti,
Carlo

Who has spun the different yarns and what's their fineness, please - 1-ply, 2-ply, 3-ply like NM 2/28 or sth. like this?

Yes, what's the quality of your Merino wool?

For all my merinowool socks we use the quality 1/34. We buy the wool yarns at Italfil, one of the best known parties in wool. Which quality you or your company use? Because of your questions I'm going to think you are an insider. When you have other questions, I gladly answer them :).

Have a nice evening.

Carlo

No, I don't sell Merino socks but I know a little bit about yarns.
Several years ago I had to sort out 3 socks knitted from Merino yarns of the fineness NM 2/28, NM 2/48 and NM 2/60
by touching with the fingers only.
It was easy to find out the yarn in NM 2/28 but I needed several attempts to feel the difference between NM 2/48
and NM 2/60 - but finally I was right.
Sometimes I had thought about selling socks knitted from pure Merino yarn in NM 2/60 from the best spinning company but it's too difficult to explain to the gentlemen that this quality is not for wearing in the winter
and I had been afraid that somebody wants to pay a reasonable price for this highest quality.
The most people in Germany knows only one brand.
But Italian gentlemen wear silk socks ...

Very interesting Urban.

My advise is to follow your heart, embrace your fears, but look at the opportunities! Life is to short to wait.

Almost every day I call new stores and 90% of the stores in the Netherlands sells the same German brand you are talking about (I assume ;)). A lot of people will quit after 100 phonecalls and visits. But the way I see is that 10% of all the stores is not working with this brand. And I know that the other 90% is not completely satisfied, so when that is another 10% I have 20%. And let me tell you; 20% is more then enough for me :).

All the best,
Carlo

Oben